Bedspread Face-Lift

Hey, ya'll.

I have a confession to make.

We go through bedspreads like Halloween candy. Why? Well, primarily because Zoe wears them out in, like, four seconds. It also doesn't help that I get bored of them pretty quickly and like to shake things up.

As such, I refuse to buy really expensive comforters. It would be like using dollar bills as baby wipes. Not so smart.

I got a wild hair as soon as I saw the first hole in my current comforter. I wanted something really different. REALLY. Something I would never ordinarily be brave enough to choose. . . and that meant going a little crazy.

I also decided to make it with my own 10 fingers {in order to justify "buying" a comforter that may very well blow up in my face} and that meant finding a tutorial.

I found this bad boy over at "View Along the Way" HERE and immediately fell in love! And the best part? I felt confident I could make it and live to tell the tale.

 photo DIY_pintuck_duvet_zpsf56dbc84.jpg
{photo source}


I ordered up some cheap king-size white hotel sheets from Amazon for $10.86 each {link found HERE} and an Ikea Lightweight Comforter for $17.99 {plus $10 shipping. . . sorry, I couldn't find the original link anymore} and got to work.

If you make the same thing, I would suggest using a disappearing ink pen to mark your spots instead of pins. I kept having pins fall out as I maneuvered the fabric to sew the "fabric tornadoes". Oh, and don't stress if the placement isn't perfect. As long as you're in the right area, you should be fine. It's definitely not rocket science.

One more word to the wise-- use a sharp, fresh needle and go slow. There's a deceivingly large amount of fabric that you have to sew through, so show your machine that you love it by taking your time.

. . .

So. Yes.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this adventure! And just think-- you could use any color sheets you'd like to fit the look of your room! I just felt like being super brave and using white.

Although, I'll admit. . . it makes me think I need to paint that wall behind the bed a light, soft gray or something. . . but, uh, don't tell my husband.

{Hi, honey!}

 photo BedspreadCollage_zps178e1b86.png
Sorry the lighting is different. . . but I'm just that kind of photographer :)

. . .

And as we all know, you can't make a new bedspread and not make some fresh accent pillows. Right?! Right.

Well, I can't.

 photo AccentPIllows_zps409337a4.png

#1 : I used this tutorial HERE from "Cluck Cluck Sew" and had a blast. An absolute blast!

 photo IMG_43981_thumb_zps2a9b628f.jpg
{photo source}


Seriously, you guys. This was a fun pillow to make. It's not perfect, but meh. Oh, well. Still fun and cute to look at.


#2 :  I used my old existing pillow for measurements and just used some scrap fabric from my stash. After stuffing my pillow in there, I used THIS tutorial to sew the bottom closed so it's nice and hidden.


# 3 : I used this YouTube video to help me sew my neckroll pillow cover.



It was definitely the most challenging, but nothing terrible. Just took some getting used to, is all. Oh, and I skipped the button part.

My measurements must have been a little off, however, because the cover ended up making my pillow look like a fifty pound pig squeezed into a toilet paper tube, so I ditched the actual pillow and used some batting to stuff the cover instead. That's why it looks a little . . . special.

The other reason it looks special is I decided to hand-write the "love" and sew it on without using any adhesive. So be kind in your judgement. :)

After I had it all finished, I decided that the ends looked lonely, so I made some little hearts and added them to each side.

 photo SideView_zps5b5a7297.png


. . . .

So now you have a relatively quick and inexpensive way to update to liven up your {or your kids'} bedroom. You have my blessing. Go forth and succeed. Be not afraid.

Comments

  1. Amazing, darling! You are so good at sewing! Is there anything you can't do? Just love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts