Intimidation {and Christmas Pics, of course}


Gather 'round and let me tell you a little tale.

It all started when I got my new car last year, which was {well, is} a standard transmission. But, wait. Maybe we need to go back a little more.

Over the years, countless empty church parking lots and quiet country roads had been subjected to my poor attempts at learning to drive a "stick shift". I still remember sitting in the drivers seat of my dad's old truck and feeling overwhelmed by the touchy relationship between the clutch and gas peddle. I was just happy I got the thing started. . . now I'm supposed to actually drive it?!

Sheesh.

. . .

Well, I finally got to the point where I wouldn't break out in a nervous sweat whenever someone asked if I could drive a standard. Instead, I'd smile bravely and say, "Yes. . . but not very well." Most often, they'd return the smile with a smirk and quickly catalog me under "delusional but optimistic" . . . and hide their car keys.

I kept explaining {to those willing to stick around} that my lack of a hearty "YES! I CAN DRIVE A STANDARD!!!!" was due to the fact that 1) I'd scare people if I spoke that way in real life {people generally don't appreciate 4 exclamation points in daily conversation}, and 2) I would never be brutally efficient at driving a "stick" until I had one. Attempting it once every other year for 15 minutes just wasn't gonna cut it.

. . .

So fast forward to the purchase of the Acura TL.

It was love at first sight! However, blooming adoration quickly morphed into overwhelming intimidation as I timidly slid into the drivers seat. It had pretty multi-colored dashboard lights and a GPS. It had more buttons than I remember seeing in a cockpit {or so it seemed}. And let's not forget the most terrifying aspect of all - three peddles.

It took a long time for me to really feel confident in that seat. I'd boot Chuck over to the passenger seat every chance I could get so that I could practice. It was like I had my learner's permit all over again :)

. . .

The point I'm trying to make here is that there will come a time {many times, in fact} that we may feel uncomfortable facing something new. It doesn't really matter if it's a circumstance or an object or something in between.  What you have to ask yourself is what you're gonna do about it : let the fear intimidate you or learn to work around it and perhaps eventually overcome it entirely?

As 2015 gets started, let's not be afraid of what may come. Let's not allow our doubts or fears to intimidate us and paralyze us from achieving any goals. Did you set resolutions? That's swell! Good on ya. Now don't allow past slip-ups to keep you from giving it your best effort this year. I know how it feels to fail and never want to "try again" ever again.

And perhaps most importantly, don't think you have to wait until next January to make a change. If you want to learn something new, learn it. If you want to kick a bad habit, kick it.

Practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature, just like driving a standard. Don't give up until you're satisfied.

. . .

Now, in completely unrelated news, here are some of our pictures from this Christmas season. I can't believe it's already come and gone. . . time sure flies!


Enjoying the Christmas lights and crushing crowds at Temple Square :


 photo CutiesJPG_zps65d43503.jpg


 photo LittleMissJPG_zps25cc8dd1.jpg
{obsessed with the fountain much?}


 photo TempleSquareJPG_zps38650b12.jpg


 photo TempleJPG_zpsae57ac29.jpg

. . . .

Building Nanny-Banany's first every snowman {which really consisted of her running amok screaming "Isss SNOWWING" while I slapped together a snowman the size of an underfed chihuahua and dug around in the flowerbed for his accessories} :

 photo SnowmanCollage_zps5770119c.png

. . . . .

Celebrating Christmas at my Pa's house :


 photo Dec2014JPG_zps469fa67f.jpg


 photo ChristmasatDadsJPG_zpsc903eae9.jpg

{Random side note : I wish I could tell you how many times I drove my army of Matchbox cars around on that very couch growing up. Many, many times. And still it lives.}

. . .

Christmas morning with matching jammies from Grandma Becky :


 photo CurtisCollage_zpsf2d2ea01.png


 photo ChristmsMorningJPG_zps4ed8f5a0.jpg


Merry, uh, January 5th, everyone!


  

Comments

  1. Christmas pictures with your sweet kids are the best. Making traditions by taking the kids to the temple lights are wonderful! Just like we did when you were little.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts