Legalization and Lead Paint



'Sup.

Soooo, if you're anything like me, you have seen no fewer than 740,392,061 posts about this whole "gay marriage legalization" thing. And if you're anything like me, your eye starts to twitch at the thought of reading another one.

As such, I promise that I'll keep this brief.

{It also helps to have a VERY determined little boy who wants to play the drums on my laptop keys. And he looks like this, which is quite distracting-ly adorable (don't worry. . . it's a clean one)}.

 photo Diaper Head_zpsis2of3yp.jpg

. . . .

I just felt like I had to be like everyone on Facebook and throw my two cents into the puddle of opinions and see what happens. The odds are good that it won't change anyone's mind. It's not like I'm eloquent or influential, or even all that informed.

I don't claim to know it all because I know I don't. But what I do know is that I strive to have a relationship with God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. I'm not perfect, but I believe that They are.

100%.

And I believe that They restored the Church of Jesus Christ through Joseph Smith, who, in turn, translated The Book of Mormon and kick started what we call The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints {LDS}. As a result, we have had a unbroken stream of Prophets and Apostles since that day who, I believe, are mouthpieces for God.

I have pondered their words and acted on their counsel and the dividends have been peace, happiness, and contentment even during trials. I know that when I act contrary to their words and the words of Prophets from the Bible and Book of Mormon {which I'm really good at, unfortunately}, I can tell a difference. It might not happen immediately, but the consequence for my disobedience always ends up coming 'round the mountain.

Naturally, this is where I segue to lead paint.

Duh.

{In my crazy mind, all things are possible}

. . . . .

Remember how pretty much everything used to be slathered in lead paint?

{photo source}
It wasn't until 1978 that folks figured out that, hey, lead paint is kinda gonna kill us all. We might want to fix that. {Why kids thought it was a good idea to suck on paint chips is an entirely different posts. Kids will be kids, I suppose}

What I'm getting at here is that we used lead paint as a society for many, many moons before realizing the consequences. They took a long time coming 'round the mountain, but came they did.

. . . . .

I believe that no one should have to feel hated or treated like a leper. Every single solitary person is infinitely important in the grand scheme of things and we need to support each other. However, there's not one single solitary person that can do whatever they feel like {whenever they feel like it} and expect the natural consequences of those actions to fall on someone else's head. As convenient as it might sound, moral relativism isn't a real thing.

The consequences of every action will come to fruition sooner or later-- good or bad.

I honestly believe that the consequences of legalizing gay marriage will have epic consequences in the years to come. Tomorrow? Probably not. 5 years down the road? Maybe. But they'll come.

. . .

I believe that marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman that can last for all eternity. There's no doubt in my mind that the men who want to marry each other {and the women who want to marry each other} love each other deeply and sincerely. But I'm afraid that doesn't make it the same thing as a God-ordained marriage.

It's hard for me to write these things because this is obviously a very heated subject and each group of people are quite convinced that they're right. I don't want 782 comments telling me how ignorant I am and how I'm living in the dark ages {since we all know 782 people read this blog. Ha!}. This is what I believe, that's all.

So let's all just respect each other and continue to try to help each other along our path back to Heaven. That's what this life is all about, anyway. Oh, and let's try to avoid munching on paint chips in the meantime. ;)    

Comments

Popular Posts